Photo by: By Just Peachy!)
Cozy up and take the chill off with hot chocolate! Hot chocolate is low-calorie and low-fat without skimping on great taste…it’s more than wishful thinking — chocolate can be good for you. Studies show that eating chocolate, primarily dark chocolate, may contribute to improved cardiovascular health. Packed with natural antioxidants, dark chocolate and cocoa sit in the same good-for-you category as green tea and blueberries. That’s because chocolate comes from cocoa beans, which grow on the cacao tree and are full of natural plant nutrients. Most of the studies to date highlight dark chocolate’s health values because it has the highest percentage of cocoa solids, therefore more flavanol antioxidants.
After a refreshing walk on a cool autumn day, this frothy treat takes only 10 minutes to create. You’ll warm up in no time.
Dark Hot Chocolate
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup bittersweet chocolate pieces
- 4 cups fat-free milk /almond milk
- 1 tablespoon honey or sugar
- In a medium saucepan, stir together cocoa powder and chocolate pieces. Whisk in milk and honey. Heat over medium heat just until boiling, whisking constantly. Pour into mugs to serve.