Eating a healthy breakfast is important because it helps the body consume more vitamins and minerals during the day, helps lower cholesterol and controls weight. Additionally, by eating breakfast, individuals have a better level of concentration and productivity during the day. To eat a healthy breakfast, one needs to eat a meal that is composed of whole grains, low fat protein, low fat dairy or fruits and vegetables. The more items you can combine on this list, then the healthier breakfast you would be eating!
So don’t be quick to skip breakfast as you rush out the door. Here are 10 benefits of eating breakfast and why it should be considered the most important meal of the day:
1. Energy Boost to Start the Day: Everyone should start their day off right by eating as many vitamins and other nutrients as possible.
2. Sharper Focus: Whether you are in class or on the job, the last thing you want on your mind is food, because once the thought of hunger enters your brain, there is no use trying to focus on anything else. By eating breakfast every morning, you are able to be more focused and productive until it’s time to refuel at lunch. But when you skip out on breakfast, it’s hard not to think about anything except food, especially with a noisy stomach that needs to be fed.
3. Breakfast Helps Reduce Morning Crankiness: Feeling cranky during the morning is understandable – you probably wanted to stay in bed for a few extra winks, you don’t feel like going to work, and what most people forget, you’re starving! Imagine going without food for 8 to 12 hours during the day; you probably won’t be the most approachable person in the office or classroom. Do yourself, your classmates and your co-workers a favor by eating breakfast to help you deal with any morning moodiness and stress.
4. Metabolism Boost: When you sleep, your metabolism slows down. The only way to jump start your metabolism for the day is to start off right with a healthy breakfast. This will allow your body to start burning through calories from the very beginning of the day, rather than in the middle of it after you’ve eaten lunch.
5. Prevents Starvation: When you’re asleep, your body isn’t burning as many calories. If you delay your first meal of the day till lunch, your body goes into survival mode and starts storing calories, creating fat. Do yourself a favor and take the time to have breakfast so your body doesn’t think you’re starving and needlessly store calories.
6. Keeps You From Overeating: If you prolong the amount of time between dinner and your next meal of the day, it’s only natural that you end up eating more than you should. Skipping breakfast will only cause you to gorge at lunch, eating extra calories that can lead to weight gain and other health complications.
7. Allows You to Properly Portion Your Meals: You may not feel very hungry when you initially wake up, but eating a healthy, balanced breakfast can help you plan and portion out your meals for the rest of the day. That way, you won’t be tempted to binge eat or snack unnecessarily, both of which are bad habits that can lead you to ignore your nutrition by satisfying hunger cravings with fatty foods anytime you like.
8. Helps Lower the “Bad” Cholesterol: Eating breakfast every morning can help lower LDL cholesterol, also known as the “bad” cholesterol.
9. Breakfast Can Be Nutritious and Delicious: Don’t let a shortage of time keep you from enjoying a bite to eat upon waking up. Start the day off with a healthy and delicious meal. You can even indulge a bit with some crispy bacon, sausage links or pancakes. Just make sure to have something with a high nutritional value on the side like a slice of cantaloupe or a bowl of fresh berries.
10. Eat Breakfast to Lose Weight: One of the greatest benefits of eating breakfast every morning is you can lose weight by doing so. Just from reading the previous health benefits, you can see how you’re helping your body stay lean. Numerous studies have also shown that an increase in weight is commonly associated with skipping breakfast. The best part is, even if you eat too much or have something a little unhealthy, you still have the entire day to make up for it. Eating breakfast every morning is one of the easiest ways to lose weight and eat healthier.
I love breakfast—it is my favorite meal of the day, however with my busy schedule I don’t always have the time I would like to eat breakfast especially during the week. Recently I have been starting my day with whole grains that help sustain my hunger until lunch time. I take granola to work with me and keep it in my desk drawer. My breakfast is a cup of granola with ½ of hot water. I stir it, wait a minute or two and instantly have a hearty breakfast.
Three tips: 1) Be sure to look for a sugar-free granola or one with natural sweeteners such as honey or agave nectar. 2) You can also use milk or yogurt—but I prefer the dairy free option and just use hot water—plus it’s easier to make at the office. 3) Add your fruit of choice—blueberries, blackberries, raisins, dried cranberry, nuts—be creative. Your taste buds will thank you!
My recipe of choice—-Berry Merry
1 cup Cinnamon granola
How to make:
Pour hot water over granola. Top with remaining ingredients.